Adoption is a very emotional process for adopting families. Especially since most families have experienced years of infertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization, miscarriages, and even adoption disruptions. DeColores Adoptions will make sure that you are emotionally ready to proceed with the adoption plan and will provide you with all necessary support during the adoption process.
We will assign an Adoptions Specialist to you who will stay by your side during the adoption process. Your specialist will make sure to explain every detail of the adoption process and answer any question you may have. She will help you create realistic expectations and provide you with support while you are waiting to be matched with a birth mother. DeColores Adoptions Adoptive Family Specialists are experienced in the adoption process and have successfully completed many adoptions. In addition, most of them have also gone through the adoption process themselves as proud adoptive parents. They know and understand the different emotions involved in the adoption process and will do everything they can so that you are eventually matched with the perfect birthmother who will make you proud adoptive parents of a beautiful baby.
The Adoption Process for Adoptive Parents
The following is a general overview of the required documents and steps of the adoption process for adoptive parents. All these documents are needed to complete your application with DeColores Adoptions. Your home study professional may have obtained many of these documents already. Your home study, medical exam, and background checks must have been completed within one year of your pending adoption. Otherwise, you must also provide our agency with a home study update and updated documents.
Adoption Steps and Required Documentation
- Complete application and email or fax it to our agency. Please download it HERE
- Send application fee ($350)
- Provide our agency with copies of:
- Photo ID’s of applicants and all adult household members
- Birth certificates of the adoptive applicants
- If you have pets, you must give proof of current vaccination
- Most recent W-2
- Marriage license, if applicable
- Divorce/Death Certificate (if applicable)
- Medical reports stating the current general health of each member of the household
- References from five friends who know you personally
- Criminal and child abuse clearances, as well as fingerprint-based background check for anyone residing in the house who is over 18 years of age. These must include clearances processed through Louisiana and child abuse registry checks for any state of residence in the past five years.
- Photo book which includes a Dear Birthmother Letter, profile of Adoptive Parent, and current pictures of you all, your home, family members, yards, holiday pictures, vacations, personal hobbies, etc. This will be used to show to potential birth mothers.
- Once your application is received, the Adoption Specialist will review your application and contact you about what documents are needed in order to complete your file. When your file is in and complete, you will be considered for upcoming matching opportunities. Once you are selected by a birth parent, you will sign a contract and send the total estimated amount of your adoption fees, as well as expenses, and costs, which will be deposited into the agency escrow account.
- When the baby is born, you will sign a temporary custody placement agreement allowing the baby to leave the hospital with you. The placement agreement should be e-mailed to your insurance company to ensure that the baby will have medical coverage. Federal law generally requires that insurance companies cover an adopted child from date of placement. However, you should check with your insurance provider to confirm coverage.
- DeColores Adoptions obtains Birth Parents Relinquishment of Parental Rights.
- Undergo a six-month evaluation by DeColores Adoptions until Finalization is obtained which includes the Post-Placement Adoptive Screening.
Are You Pregnant?
We’re ready to help. Please complete this contact form and one of our adoption specialists will be in touch to assist.
The adoption process can be difficult, but DeColores Adoptions is committed to taking that journey with you. We offer financial and emotional support throughout your pregnancy! Our adoption specialists will be there with encouragement, guidance, and support every step of the way. Please call us toll-free any time, day or night.
+1 (877) 436-4530
Se Habla Español
Our adoption specialists are ready to assist, no matter what language you speak!